The Knox Junior School was founded in 1947. It is located in the parish of Clarendon, which is in the West Indian Island of Jamaica. This school is a private preparatory school which is operated by the United Church in Jamaica and Cayman Islands (formerly Presbyterian). It is located on acres of lovely land and we experience beautiful tropical weather for most of the year.
Christian principles and religious education guide Knox Junior School. We have been registered with the Ministry of Education, Youth and Culture since 1976 and we therefore adhere to the curriculum of Government schools, which covers Mathematics, Science, Language Arts, Art and Craft, Music, Physical Education, Social Studies and Religious Education. In addition we introduce the children to Spanish, Dance and Computer Education. The Mrs. Davidson Reading Lab was opened in 2005. Our classrooms are spacious and airy with an average of 25 students to one teacher. This provide for the very best pupil teacher interaction. As we cater to the individual, if at any time a child is academically weak or needs extra help our teachers are ready and willing to ensure that each child is adequately prepared for the next level of education. Boarding with recommended families is available. Details can be obtained from the school, by contacting *
Sports is an integral aspect of the schools life. Each child that enters Knox Junior School is placed in one of four houses, GRANT, FORBES-DENNIS, MURRAY, and WEBSTER.
See photographs of these houses on Sports Day .
KNOX JUNIOR SCHOOL ACCOMPLISHMENTS FOR THE 2004-2005 SCHOOL YEAR:
1. On entering the TVJ junior Schools Challenge quiz for the first time, we made it to the second round.
2. On entering for the first time, we placed third in the Manchester 4H competitions in the junior category. We had one entry in the national 4H poster competitions and we placed second island wide.
3. We gained three gold and one silver medal at the parish level in the JCDC dance competitions. Two of the dances made it to the national finals where they preformed creditably.
4. We gained one silver medal in the JCDC speech competitions at the parish level.
5. We gained two gold, one silver, one bronze medal in music at the Paris level in the JCDC competitions. Two pieces made it to the national finals where we gained two trophies for best junior and most outstanding overall classroom instrument presentation.
6. We compete in many local track and field meets as well in the National Prep School Championship which meets in Kingston in June. We came 20th out of 54 schools at the national prep school championships with 12 pts, a silver medal and the trophy for the most improved school.
7. In 2005 we entered 22 students to sit the Grade Six Achievement Test ( GSAT ). Seventeen out of 22 students who sat this test (GSAT- is the exam which places you into high school) got their school of first choice (on registration for the exam their parents had to indicate on a form their five schools of choice in preferential order). To do this they had to score quite high grades. The averages are as follows:
Most of the scores were in the high eighties and nineties.
Our teachers are very dedicated to teaching your children. You can be assured that your child's stay will yield great results.
Table showing past GSAT results
We are currently accepting applications for the new academic year, which starts in September 2006. Please see our application form or contact * for information on how to enroll your child for the upcoming school year. Please note that we are accepting applications for kindergarten through 2nd grade only for the upcoming school year. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Additional InformationSee our Picture Gallery for more photographs. Read the History of Knox Junior School. Our Notice Board and details of Staff Vacancies .
Knox Junior School
Tel: (876) 987-8050
Fax: (876) 964-0083
or complete our
© 2002 Knox Junior School
Revised: March 13th, 2006.
Created: 2 June 1999